Saturday, June 26, 2010

I'm running a half-marathon in October.
The New Orleans Jazz Half-Marathon.
Then I'm running another here 3 weeks later.

Note I didn't say "I'm training for a half-marathon." I think that gives me the option to back out later. So while I certainly AM training for it (otherwise there's no point), I'm not allowing myself the opportunity of the negative thought.

During the week, given the time of day I'd have to run, most of my runs are treadmill runs. Not a bad situation, really, because I have water/fan/TV/insert convenience here to occupy me and make me more comfortable. Every mile I run on weekends is run outside, though. Believe me when I tell you there are days I regret picking a race date that insists I sweat my sorry ass off all summer in the Florida heat to get the job done. Then I remember EVERY run outside involves Florida heat. Meh. It's a nice scenic run, honestly it is, and it's crowded with people running, biking, pushing their kids in strollers, and walking their dogs. But it's not exactly comfortable. My lingering body image issues prevent me from wearing shorts to run, which means my running garb automatically puts me at a disadvantage in terms of enjoyment. This is something I've just learned to accept. There aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done that has to be done and take extra time to work on body image. I'd rather the feeling of accomplishment at the end of the run than the stress of trying to make that change and being utterly miserable doing it.

All in all, and despite the fact that I seem stuck at a miles-per-run plateau - at least outside - right now, this morning's run was a good one. 4 miles of peace and quiet. Run, Mommy, run.

I'm running a half-marathon in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment