Friday, June 25, 2010

No Wine Before Its Time

This has been quite a day, to say the least. Consider it an understatement to say I was in serious need of the fruit of the vine this evening. Despite the fantastic spin class I was lucky enough to curse the instructor through this morning (and thank you, Angela!), my happy Friday-ness was stomped on by a stomping, non-napping, grumpy potty-learning toddler who wanted only to put on his new underwear and watch Laurie Berkner. Again.

Which, for the record, was nothing a trip to Whole Foods - from whence the vegan chocolate-chip and oatmeal raisin cookies, and free stinky cheese samples (my God, he's his mother's son) come - couldn't remedy. Mostly, anyway.

In July of 2007, the hubs and I had the good fortune of taking a week-long trip to San Francisco, Napa, and Sonoma. As we were driving back to our hotel in Healdsburg one hot afternoon, we stumbled upon Peterson, a small boutique winery. It was closing time and there was only one person in the tasting room, but she was kind enough to stick around and pour - overpour, maybe? - and talk about the wine with us until we needed to head back. We left with hearts full of good cheer and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc for the Independence Day concert in the park...and a wine club membership. Fortunately for us, every 3 months we get a lovely package from Peterson Winery, and tonight we broke out the Father's Day gifts (a Sharper Image wine chiller and Vinturi aerator) and enjoyed a 2007 Peterson Zinfandel/Petit Syrah. NICE. I've missed my reds. It's too hot here to drink them right now unless they're at cellar temperature, so the chiller may make me happier than it does the man. Ahhh.

At any rate, for the moment Turkis Jones is lost in dreamland and I am firmly rooted on my sofa watching ESPN news and enjoying some really, really tasty vino. I should enjoy this while I can, considering that 6:30 will come early tomorrow and I will have miles to run, despite the heat.

Happy weekend, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment